Oportunidad de voluntariado
Oportunidad de voluntariado publicado por: VSO
Publicado el: 21/12/2012
HIV&AIDS clinical management adviser/paediatric doctor, Cameroon, 12 months
The national HIV prevalence rate in Cameroon is 4.3%. This is still increasing despite significant strategies by the government and organisations working in the country to increase awareness and reduce stigma. This placement supports Banso Baptist Hospital (BBH)'s health care structure as it aims to provide improved clinical care services to people living with HIV&AIDS, with a focus on children born to HIV positive mothers.
What does the role involve?
You'll be expected to work with the different programme components in the HIV&AIDS treatment centre and other attached services within Banso Baptist Hospital and provide assistance in the following areas:
• assessing the current clinical care services and care plan for HIV children and adults
• provide support and training for those for those working in the speciality paediatric HIV services
• play an active role in teaching on rounds and doctor's meetings
• provide on-going support to staff at the treatment centre to deliver quality care and support services to HIV positive clients
• work with other stakeholders to improve HIV&AIDS prevention and care activities
• provide oversight of the neonatal section of the maternity ward; including working closely with nursing and midwifery staff caring for premature and sick infants
• assist in the evaluation and improvement of monitoring tools for HIV&AIDS treatment.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
You'll be a qualified medical doctor working in the field of Paediatrics and HIV, plus have at least five years experience in HIV&AIDS care, specifically clinical care for people living with HIV&AIDS. Further knowledge of nutrition will be an advantage. You'll be willing to transfer knowledge, skills and experience to other clinicians, able to work in a limited-resource environment and sound knowledge of Antiretroviral (ARV) treatment protocols. You'll be enthusiastic, have excellent interpersonal skills and the physical ability to work in a rural area.
And the rest....
You'll be based in Kumbo, which is approximately 110 kms from Bamenda, the regional capital of the Northwest Region of Cameroon. Kumbo is a town within a rural setting with Government offices, banks, supermarket and a large daily market. We'll ask you to commit to at least 12 months to make a sustainable contribution to our development goals. In return, we'll give you comprehensive financial, personal and professional support. Where we'll provide you with extensive training before your placement, and our financial package includes a local living allowance, return flights, accommodation, insurance and more. When you return to your home country, we'll support you to resettle.
To find out more about volunteering with VSO visit www.vsointernational.org/volunteer and when you apply, please use the following reference CMR0240/0003/0002 in your application. On average it takes a minimum of 4 months to go through the application process so apply now for departure in 2013.