Oportunidad de voluntariado
Oportunidad de voluntariado publicado por: Niños de Guatemala
Publicado el: 22/11/2012
Niños de Guatemala (NDG) is a non-profit organization that works towards educating underprivileged children and promoting access to education for everyone. We believe the greatest way to break the cycle of poverty is to create educational opportunities and develop programming along with our local community of Ciudad Vieja. NDG operates two schools in Guatemala (1) The Nuestro Futuro elementary school (NF) and Community Center in Ciudad Vieja; and (2) The "El Porvenir" elementary school (EP) in San Lorenzo de Cubo, inaugurated in January 2012.
The Nuestro Futuro Elementary School (NF) in Ciudad Vieja is situated on the side of Vulcan Agua. The town is home to over 30,000 inhabitants, but has only 2 public schools. NDG decided to build Nuestro Futuro at the very top of the residential area, for families who were unable to afford the costs associated with maintaining education in Guatemala. Our school has several programs, ranging from academic and creative expression classes, to our community center, library, and full-time social worker and therapist.
The main goal for the Music teacher is to organize and carry out music classes for children of our Elementary School Nuestro Futuro. The music program should be designed to awaken an interest among the children towards music, supplying with them the fundamental tools and theories of music and above all to encourage the children to adopt an empirical approach towards musical instruments through dynamic games.
NF has at its disposal a range of different percussion instruments, guitars, various wind instruments and a piano.
The classes can follow a plan that s already implemented by the Music Program and is currently being used, or it can be redefined by the teacher with support of the Volunteer Coordinator.
The teachers will teach the children through applying experimental and playful techniques, the use of audio visual support, games and a combination of other disciplines.
The teacher will be asked for periodical reports and evaluations in order to monitor the class' progress and any theorietical suggestions or contributions to the program.
The music teacher will have to work with each grade's teacher and encourage them to be involved.
- To be available for at least 2 months, preferably longer
- Experience as music teacher, be a music student, or passionate about music
- An intermediate level of Spanish
- An interest in working with children from poor backgrounds
- Have a responsible and independent attitude towards their job
- Ability to openly communicate and understand the communal goal
- Be creative and proactive in both lesson planning and teaching
- Have experience in developping activities, training sessions and or workshops
- An excellent opportunity to put your knowledge into practice
- The opportunity to collaborate in the development of an organization working for the benefit of Guatemalan children
- Professional support from our staff
- A stimulating international environment to work in
- Letters of recommendation and a reference at the end of your stay
i. Please send your motivation letter and CV to James Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirección: 4a Calle Oriente #41, Casa Convento Concepción, La Antigua Guatemala. www.ninosdeguatemala.org
Tel. Oficina: 7832 8033
Please send your motivation letter and CV to James Richardson email@example.com