Publicado el 25/08/2014
Cabarete, Provincia de Puerto Plata, República Dominicana
Únete como voluntario
We are an early education Montessori school located in La Cienega, one of the poorest neighborhoods in Cabarete, Dominican Republic. Approximately 80% of our students are Dominicans and Haitians living in poverty and are attending the school on scholarship and donations. Our focus is on three demographics: children, teachers, and parents. We offer opportunities for individual volunteers, work groups, certified Montessori teachers, interns, and anyone looking to get involved. We'd love to hear from you!
To co-create with children, parents and teachers a unique early childhood development program that will provide the children of our community with the critical foundation needed for educational success and a happy and healthy life.
To replicate this sustainable model throughout the Dominican Republic so that children, parents and teachers may be active leaders in society and take pride in their community.
Early Childhood Programs:
- Infant/Toddler Program: The Infant-Toddler Program is the newest project from 3 Mariposas Montessori set to open its doors in September 2012. This program starts with children as young as 4 months up to 3 years, and will continue to foster and encourage curiosity, independence, and active learning. The demographics of this program include 50% Dominican and Haitian population, with the remainder consisting of Canadians, French, Americans, Argentinians, and Austrians (to name a few!)
- 3-6 Year Old Montessori Program: This child-centered, hands-on program for 3 to 6 year-olds allows the children to thrive. Our classroom environment fosters the fulfillment of the young learner's highest potential – social, emotional, behavioral, physical, artistic, and intellectual – as a member of a family and a community. 85% of our children are Dominican and Haitian children who attend school on scholarship, while the other 15% are children from all other corners of the world. Both English and Spanish are spoken in the classroom.
- Home Education For Parents: Home visits are made to assist parents with creating the best home environment possible for their children. Suggestions are made on how to provide a healthier, safer, happier, and more educationally centered home for their little ones.
- School Store: We have an on-site school store that parents of our students run. By doing this, they do customer service, develop their math/accounting skills, and learn how to run a store. The things sold are donated coffee from Cabarete Coffee Company, school supplies, and donations from the community (clothes, household goods, etc).
- Workshops: 3MM faciliates and hosts workshops to teach parents and family members useful skills, such as jewelry making and sewing.
- Regular training is given to the teachers in order for them to reach a mastery level of the Montessori methodology. One crucial lesson the teacher learns is "to stir up life, but leave it free to develop" - Maria Montessori. In exchange for the volunteering our guides and teacher assistants do, they are often given the opportunity to attend English classes or even go to Puerto Plata for Montessori Teacher training sponsored by 3 Mariposas Montessori.