CYLBURN ARBORETUM is a Baltimore City Park. The CYLBURN ARBORETUM ASSOCIATIONmission is to protect Cylburn Arboretum as a place of open space, beauty and quiet; and to ensure the preservation, enhancement and interpretation of the site's gardens, woodlands, historic buildings, and collections as educational, environmental and recreational assets for the benefit of Baltimore and surrounding regions.
In 1954, a citizen's group working with the Board of Recreation and Parks incorporated itself as the Cylburn Wildflower Preserve and Garden Center with the intent of making Cylburn Park a center for environmental education and horticulture. Within this corporate organization, volunteers began designing, developing and maintaining nature trails and gardens on the park property. In 1982, Cylburn Park officially became Cylburn Arboretum, thereby clarifying its mission for Baltimore City as the city's horticultural center for the preservation, maintenance and expansion of Cylburn's existing trees and shrubs as well as maintenance of its woodlands and gardens. The organization of volunteers that was already assisting the city in that effort became the Cylburn Arboretum Association, Inc.
The Association now supports Cylburn's Head Gardener and others gardeners, Director of Education, Education Program Manager, Camp Director and Development Officer. The Association hosts horticultural lectures and demonstrations as well as guided tours of the Mansion and the gardens led by trained Guides. It sponsors such Baltimore events as Market Day, Celebration of Art, Chamber and Jazz Music Series and Holiday Programs in its historic buildings. Cylburn Arboretum also houses a natural history museum in its Carriage House, containing over 250 Birds of Maryland, shells, rocks, fossils, skulls and more. A cadre of volunteers care for 3 miles of woodland trails and assist gardeners in both the historic formal and demonstration gardens.