The Japanese American National Museum is a new model for American museums dedicated to transforming lives and strengthening community through the exploration of diverse histories, arts and cultures. The mission of the Japanese American National Museum is to promote understanding and appreciation of America's ethnic and cultural diversity by preserving, interpreting and sharing the experiences of Japanese Americans. The Japanese American National Museum shares the story of Japanese Americans because it honors the nation's diversity. The National Museum believes in the importance of remembering history to better guard against the prejudice that threatens liberty and equality in a democratice society. It strives as a world-class museum to provide a voice and a forum that enables all people to explore their own heritage and culture. The institution promotes continual exploration of the meaning and value of ethnicity through programs that preserve individual dignity, strengthens communities, and increases respect among all people nationally and internationally. The National Museum believes that its work can enrich lives, create a more just America and, ultimately, a better world. Please visit our website at www.janm.org for more information on volunteer opportunities, job openings, calendar of events, Current Exhibitions and other resources.
- Hours: Tuesday - Wednesday, Friday - Sunday 11am-5pm, Thursday 12 noon - 8pm. Closed on Mondays to the public. Closed Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.
- Free General Admission 5-8pm every Thursday or all day every third Thursday of the month. -last admission is 30 minutes before closing time.
- Hours subject to change, Please call to verify operating hours. (213) 625-0414
- Note: Special Exhibitions may carry an additional admission fee. Please check exhibition information for special pricing.
- MANABI & SUMI HIRASAKI NATIONAL RESOURCE CENTER The HNRC fosters a self-directed educational experience by connecting visitors to the National Museum's welath of resources documenting Japanese American culture and life. HNRC Reading Room Hours: Tuesday, Saturday-Sunday 11am-5pm and by appointment Wednesdays-Fridays. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
- Additional resources at www.discovernikkei.org and at www.ncdemocracy.org and See our online collection information at http://www.janm.org/collections/
- MUSEUM STORE The store carries a wide range of books, videos, jewelry, and unique cultural gift items. Store Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday - Sunday 11am-5pm and Thursdays 12 noon - 8pm. Catalog Phone Orders Call Toll Free: 1-888-769-5559 11am-5pm PST Wed- Sun or shop online at 24 hours a day at www.janmstore.com Phone: 213-830-5685 during regular store business hours. e-mail: email@example.com
- GROUP VISITS Discounted rates are available for groups of 10 or more Tuesday - Fridays. Schools that wish to come on free Thursday must make reservations in advance. Limited Group guided visit available Sat - Sun 11am-3pm. http://www.janm.org/visit/groups/ For Reservations call (213)830-5601 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Admission:$10 Adults; $6 Seniors(age 62+); $6 Students with I.D. & Youth (age 6-17); Free for Museum Members and children 5 and under.
- Same-day Admission for both JANM and The Defining Courage Expereince, located at GFBNEC in the Historic Building, is $15 Adults, $8 Seniors, Students with I.D. and youth.
- Facilities Rentals are also available for your meetings, conferences, weddings, special events & parties (http://www.janm.org/about/facilities/specialevents/) email@example.com