The Spot (www.thespotoakland.org) is a newly-opened youth center located in Oakland Chinatown. The theme is "Ready for the Future" and The Spot's culturally attuned activities will include tiered mentorship, leadership roles, and internships for youth to gain knowledge and skills in health and wellness, history and culture, job training/college readiness, and leadership. Instead of merely being a space with co-located services, The Spot will be coordinated to provide a web of support and opportunities for youth and young adults.
The mission of The Spot is to support the success of youth and young adults by fostering their emotional, physical, intellectual, and spiritual health through holistic, coordinated, youth-driven resources and opportunities.
Vision • A safe and empowering environment to realize their full potential • Meaningful roles to experience and strengthen their communities • A culture of unity, diversity, and collaboration for social justice
The Spot is a project of the Chinatown Youth Center Initiative (CYCI). The overarching goal is to build and develop a long-term permanent youth center space that could be a one-stop shop for the programs and services that youth might want or need.
For more information on how you can get support (by donations or volunteering) contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Ways that the community could support The Spot:
WAYS OAKLAND RESIDENTS COULD SUPPORT THE SPOT
- 1. Monetary Donations - Monetary donations to The Spot are tax-deductible. For checks write "To: Asian Health Services" and the "Memo: CYCI", checks can be mailed to The Spot 299 13th Street, Oakland CA 94612. Online donations can be processed athttp:thespotoakland.org/?page_id=250and write "CYCI" in the designation field of the online form. · The Spot received a $3,900 donation from Oakland-based Commercial Energy of California as part of their annual charitable giving program.
- 2. Equipment Donations - The staff created a wishlist of furniture and equipment that hopefully could get donated by community members:http:thespotoakland.org/?p=1267
- 3. Donate Time/Services - If you have questions about The Spot or have ideas about how you or your company could get involved, email email@example.com. A couple recent examples: · Local State Farm agent Julie La presented a teen financial education workshop for a group of youth last month. · A community member offered to do drop-in tutoring on Monday afternoons.
CYCI Planning Committee (2011)
- Asian Health Services
- Community Health for Asian Americans
- East Bay Asian Youth Center
- National Council on Crime and Delinquency
- Oakland Asian Cultural Center
- Office of Alameda County Supervisor Alice Lai-Bitker
- Youth Movement Records
CYCI Members and Supporters (2011)
- Asian Pacific Islander Youth Promoting Advocacy and Leadership
- Alameda County Probation Department
- Alameda County Public Health Department
- Asian Immigrants Women Advocates
- Asian Community Mental Health Services
- Bay Area Legal Aid
- Banteay Srei
- East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation
- Oakland Asian Students Education Services
- Office of CA Assembly member Sandre Swanson
- Office of Oakland City Councilmember Patricia Kernighan