Pasantía publicado por: Youth Focus Africa Foundation
Publicado el: 22/11/2012
The Youth Focus Africa Foudation (YOFAFO) is an independent, indigenous non-government organisation based in Lugazi, Uganda. The organisation was founded by its director, Valence Lutaisire, who grew up in the nearby village of Kitoola. Himself an orphan, Valence is the only person from his village to have a university degree. Together with his wife Doreen, Valence is working to change the lives of people in his community.
YOFAFO works in three main villages, in the key areas of health, women's empowerment and education. It has established two primary schools for vulnerable children, one of which is producing some of the country's best performing students. It also provides health outreach services to villages which don't have easy access to health care, and is helping to empower families through the establishment of agriculture programs.
As YOFAFO grows in leaps and bounds, it needs more hands to make things happen! The foundation is currently in need of someone who can become a "right-hand-man/woman" for Valence and Doreen, to ensure the smooth and transparent operation of YOFAFO.
This is an exciting time for YOFAFO, and we need someone to help us keep up with the paperwork and also explore some creative funding options so we can make our vision a reality.
This position will require someone who can think outside the box, who is resourceful and creative, who has strong administration skills and a willingness to work closely with the communities we are a part of. This is an opportunity for anyone interested in international development or work in the non-profit sector to take their career to the next level. You will be given direction on what we need to achieve, but this is your time to shine, to use your initiative and explore what is possible. Even for those not interested in a non-profit career, this is a chance to learn things about yourself, become part of a new "family" in Uganda, and make a real contribution to positive change in our communities.
You will be required to:
- Assist YOFAFO in its transition to a new electronic accounting system
- Help write financial and project reports, in order to improve our transparency
- Assist YOFAFO staff in utilising new online and electronic processes for volunteer applications, child sponsorship arrangements etc.
- Work closely with the Media and Communications team to assist in the coordination of volunteer placements
- Work closely with the Media and Communications team to work on marketing campaigns
- Research possible new funding streams for YOFAFO and write grant applications.
We are looking for someone who:
- Preferably has a background in / qualification in / experience in administration and grant writing.
- Is resourceful and proactive, who can take direction as much as they can take initiative and work independently
- Is positive and open-minded
- Has an understanding, or a willingness to understand, of the different ways things operate in Africa and Uganda. We need someone who is not afraid to suggest ways YOFAFO can improve its processes, but who also understands that just because things are done "differently", doesn't mean it isn't the better way to do it.
- Has high level written communication skills, with impeccable grammar and spelling.
- Can utilise their skills and experience in a cross-cultural setting
- We are looking for someone who is available for 6-12 months.
- Unpaid, but room and board is provided.
If this sounds like you, then we would love to hear from you! Please send your resume, cover letter, and details for two references to Valence Lutaisire at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Additionally, you can go to our website and 'apply now' under the 'apply' tab. We also have other available openings listed on our website.