Pasantía publicado por: International Rescue Committee - Atlanta Volunteer Office
Publicado el: 09/01/2013
The IRC's Youth Futures Program addresses specific social and academic needs surrounding refugee and asylee youth through an after-school program, summer camp, and student internships. Focused on academics, the after-school program helps students with their homework and school projects every school day. During summer break, the youth program offers an internship program, which introduces youth to the American workplace and helps them discover more about their own goals, and a summer camp, which provides cultural, learning, social, and specific skill-building opportunities.
This position requires a minimum of 15 hours a week for at least three months. The hours for this position are between 3:00 and 6:00pm during the school year and between 11:00am and 6:00pm during the summer.
• Assist high school refugee youth with homework
• Assist staff youth counselors with program logistics
• Compile and update secondary and post-secondary resources and contacts
• Assist youth with writing resumes and searching for part-time/summer jobs
• Maintain relationships with DeKalb County Schools
• Plan and prepare for Youth Futures events, especially Spring Break and Summer Program activities
• Build mentoring relationships with youth
• Provide other program and general administrative support as needed, such as documentation and file maintenance
• Excellent communication and writing skills
• Organizational skills with attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
• An interest in international and refugee issues
• Experience working with youth and/or young adults is preferred
• Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects
• Strong desire to help people and enthusiasm for working in a multi-cultural setting
• Computer literacy, preferably with PC systems
• A valid driver's license and reliable vehicle is beneficial
For more information or to apply, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at VolunteerATL@Rescue.org or 678-636-8928.
To learn more about us, please visit the IRC website at www.Rescue.org/Atlanta