Pasantía publicado por: Science of Life Studies 24/7
Publicado el: 14/12/2012
As our computer systems intern, your responsibilities will primarily be within the SOLS TECH computer refurbishment center. Participants will be expected to take an active and independent leadership role in the computer refurbishment process. In addition, interns will be responsible for providing basic guidance and tutelage to our SOLS 24/7 computer technician students.
The computer systems intern will also be expected to take on management responsibilities within the SOLS TECH project, TECH CYCLE.
TECH CYCLE is a partnership project between SOLS TECH and the Hong Leong Foundation. It is a digital movement targeted at bridging the digital divide, eradicating computer illiteracy, and providing a sustainable alternative to digital waste.
TECH CYCLE invites members of the public to drop off unwanted digital devices at selected Hong Leong Bank hotspots. A SOLS TECH team collects these items, brings them to the refurbishment center for repairs, and takes them to underprivileged community projects, struggling NGOs, orphanages, and rural schools. The items are provided free of charge and installed within their new home. Basic training on use and maintenance is provided.
Interns will work within a management team and side by side with our international directors. This is an opportunity to gain valuable hands-on computer refurbishment experience and acquire management experience, in a demanding environment.
Raj Ridvan Singh, International Director
Length of Internship
3 months (minimum) – 12 months
Start date depends on intern
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office package
• Excellent English: reading, writing, and speaking
• Leadership experience
• Confident dealing with electrical equipment and most digital devices
• Ability to multi-task and work on projects independently
• Sensitivity to different cultural norms and practices
• Confident, flexible, responsible and self-motivated
• Server management
• Computer networking
• Software and hardware maintenance and setup
• Computer installation
• Search engine optimization
• IT degree/qualification or related field
• Photography and videography skills
• Interest in computer refurbishment
Duties and Responsibilities
• Play a management role on TECH CYCLE
• Participate in TECH CYCLE on the road activities (collection, promotion, training and installation)
• Teach basic computer technician skills to students
• Computer refurbishment
• Server management
• Attend meetings with partner organizations
• Maintain email correspondences with Hong Leong and other partners
• Provide timely reports to his/her supervisor and the directors
• Ensure that day-to-day SOLS TECH operations are running smoothly
• Undertake other community development works when necessary
• To jointly conduct community work with SOLS 24/7 as and when appropriate
• Any other necessary tasks as requested by his/her supervisor